The federal authorities expanded its ban on firearms on Thursday, including 324 makes and fashions of weapons to the prohibited weapons listing, and lawful gun homeowners in Alberta really feel they’re being unnecessarily focused.
The transfer follows the Might 2020 ban of 1,500 makes and fashions of firearms, together with the AR-15 and Ruger Mini-14. The quantity grew to greater than 2,000 by November of this 12 months as new variants had been recognized.
The federal authorities says it’s working with provinces, territories and police on a deliberate buyback of prohibited weapons from particular person homeowners. It has already run a pilot undertaking on gathering banned firearms from companies.
Lethbridge’s Justin Thomson was certainly one of three Canadians who had been hand-picked to compete within the World Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) Competitors within the Czech Republic subsequent spring, however with the brand new ban in place, he can not observe and is now not sure if he’ll be capable to compete.
“We work laborious, we’re passionate, and now it’s simply all been taken away from us,” mentioned Thomson.
The federal authorities says the brand new ban is a part of its dedication to deal with gun crime and preserve communities protected, however aggressive shooters say it overlooks motion capturing and targets lawful gun homeowners.
The Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights mentioned the announcement was typical Liberal social gathering “divide and conquer” politics.

Get breaking Nationwide information
For information impacting Canada and world wide, join breaking information alerts delivered on to you after they occur.
“They know they’re out of time and Canadians are out of cash.”
Alberta Justice Minister Mickey Amery mentioned the provincial authorities strongly opposes “the arbitrary reclassification of firearms and the federal authorities’s wasteful, ineffective, and repeatedly delayed program to confiscate these firearms.”

The newly banned firearms share the identical technical traits as these prohibited in Might 2020. It means they will not be legally used or offered in Canada, and will be transferred or transported solely underneath restricted circumstances.
Officers made it clear that further makes and fashions might be added to the listing of banned firearms, saying an skilled panel will present recommendation on weapons which are nonetheless in the marketplace.
As an illustration, the SKS rifle, which has been utilized in capturing sprees, stays authorized.
Federal Public Security Minister Dominic LeBlanc mentioned a choice on the firearm, utilized by many Indigenous folks for looking, can be made by February earlier than the subsequent section of the buyback program.
“We wish to mirror on this over the approaching weeks.”
Late final 12 months, Parliament handed a authorities invoice that cemented restrictions on handguns, elevated penalties for firearm trafficking and aimed to curb do-it-yourself ghost weapons.
The federal government says it’s working to completely implement the invoice, with remaining provisions to come back into drive early within the new 12 months.

The laws included a ban on assault-style firearms that fall underneath a brand new technical definition. Nonetheless, the definition didn’t apply to fashions that had been already in the marketplace when the invoice handed.
The federal government says it intends to desk regulatory amendments in Parliament on Dec. 13, following via on commitments to ensure that all makes and fashions of firearms are accounted for previous to getting into the Canadian market.
Watch the video within the participant on the high of this story to study extra.
— With recordsdata from Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press
© 2024 International Information, a division of Corus Leisure Inc.
Source link